Monday, March 21, 2011

Mini Meat & Cheese Foldovers



This recipe started with a recipe in Kraft's Food & Family Magazine last year called Beef & Cheese Foldover. Their recipe started with a pie crust that was laid flat & filled with a meat & cheese mixture. Then the edges of the pie crust were folded up to hold in the meat mixture while it cooked.

Great idea, but I wasn't totally into it. I didn't completely love the flavorings they chose either...

Flash forward to today & I was thinking about that recipe again. I knew I could re-do it to our tastes. I took out the pie crust & added crescent rolls. I baked each serving separately in ramekins. I changed the seasonings to match our Quick-n-Easy Shepherd's Pie flavors that we loved so much. Finally, my daughter, Kendall, changed up the title.

So here's the result! I'm happy to report it was YUMMY!!


Mini Meat & Cheese Foldovers
Serves 8

8 7-oz ramekins
1 8-count cylinder of ready-to-bake crescent rolls
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey (or beef, if you prefer)
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups finely shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp parsley flakes, optional (I didn't use these, but wish I had)


  • Preheat oven to 375*F. Line a baking sheet with foil (for easy clean-up). Set ramekins on foil-lined baking sheet & spray lightly with cooking spray.
  • Open & separate crescent rolls into 8 individual triangles. Lay 1 triangle in each ramekin - thick side along the bottom of the ramekin & the point sticking out over the side (see below). Set aside.


  • In a large skillet, brown meat with onions until cooked through; drain.
  • Stir in corn, ketchup & Worcestershire.
  • Spoon meat/veg mixture into each ramekin to just below the rim.
  • Sprinkle cheese over meat/veg mixture.
  • Fold point of crescent roll over the top of the cheese. (see below)


  • Bake 20 minutes or until cheese is melted & crescent roll is cooked through & golden brown.


Enjoy with a side of your favorite veggies or a green salad.



I think there are probably loads of variations to this recipe.

You could go Italian - replace the ketchup with spaghetti sauce & add a bit of minced garlic when cooking the meat. Top with shredded mozzarella. Maybe sprinkle some garlic salt over the crescent roll too.

I think vegetarian would be great too - saute' some portabella mushrooms & onions in butter & garlic. You could add some red kidney beans too. Use the mushroom/bean mixture to replace the meat/veg mixture. Top with a spicy Pepper Jack cheese.

Use your imagination!! If you come up with a delicous variation, please let us know so we can post it.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails