Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Stove Top Chicken Enchilada Casserole

This is the first time I made this recipe. I would give it 3 out of 5 stars. Everyone enjoyed it, but it is not one of my favorites.




**Here is a picture of the ingredients I used. I run to the Super Wal Mart every couple of months for BIG shopping and this is where they sell this big bag of reduced fat cheese. I love it.**

Original Recipe
Stove-top Chicken Enchilada Casserole
1 TB butter or veg oil
1/3 cup chopped onion
10 0z Enchilada sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 12.5 oz can chunk chicken in water (drained)
4 8" flour tortillas
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream
1- In 2 quart saucepan melt butter and add onion. Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reserve 1/4 cup enchilada sauce, and add remaining sauce to onion. Stir in cumin and chicken. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
2- Lightly grease 10" skillet with cooking spray. Heat over low heat. Place 1 tortilla in skillet. Top with the shredded pepper jack cheese. Place 2nd tortilla on top of cheese. Pour enchilada sauce mixture over this tortilla. Place 3rd tortilla over enchilada mixture. Top this tortilla with shredded cheddar cheese. Place 4th tortilla over cheese. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over this tortilla.
3- Cover skillet and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Top each slice with sour cream.
MY VERSION
Instead of enchilada sauce, I used 1 can healthy recipe cream of mushroom and 1 cup pace picante medium. ( I reserved about 1/2 cup and poured the rest in with the onion and chicken.)
I did not have pepper jack cheese, so I used my reduced fat cheddar and monterey jack cheese for the cheese layers.
ENJOY!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails