I've had this recipe FOREVER - no idea where I got it from. It's a family favorite. The kids go nuts when I pull out the waffle iron in the middle of the day. They know what's coming. :)
You can top these with frosting (the way my kids like them) or you can leave them plain (the way hubby & I like them). They're also ridiculously good with a scoop of ice cream between cookies to make an ice cream sandwich.
But my favorite is to put a cookie on a plate, top it with a scoop of ice cream & drizzle hot fudge over the top. Holy moly.
Makes 16 cookies
1/2 cup melted butter
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour (I'm going to try wheat flour next time or maybe 1/2 wheat, 1/2 all-purpose. I'll keep you posted)
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp salt.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Mix together wet ingredients (butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla).
- Stir together dry ingredients in another bowl. Mix into wet ingredients. The batter will be thick.
- Drop by tablespoons onto a hot waffle iron.
- Check cookies after 1 minute. (Mine took 1 min 20 secs). When set, remove from iron with a fork by gently lifting a corner or edge.
- Let cool on baking rack.
- Frost, if desired, with chocolate or buttercream frosting just before eating.
- Store unfrosted in airtight container up to 3 days.