Is anybody else stuck in stormy, grey weather?? We sure are here in Utah! For me, that means warm & cozy dinners that fill you & warm you up from the inside. This Chicken-Corn Chowder definitely hit the spot!
Except for the toppings & fresh broccoli, this recipe is made entirely from my food storage. I love that since I always have the ingredients on-hand. The broccoli is optional, but for us it's one of the best parts of the chowder. You can also leave the chicken out and make this chowder vegetarian.
I posted this recipe once before, but I've tweaked it a bit recently. This is the new (and better, according to my family) recipe.
Chicken Corn Chowder with Broccoli
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 12oz cans evaporated milk
2 Tbsp dried minced onion
2 large potatoes, cooked & cubed or sliced OR 2-3 14.5oz cans cubed or sliced potatoes
2 14.5oz cans creamed corn
1 14.5oz can fresh corn
1 12.5oz can chicken, drained OR 1-2 cups fresh cooked & cubed or shredded chicken
1 16oz pkg frozen broccoli, thawed (or cooked) & drained OR 1 large head fresh broccoli, cooked
salt & pepper, to taste
grated Cheddar cheese
green onions, chopped
bacon, cooked & crumbled
- In a bowl, whisk together 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour and 1/3 cup COLD water. Whisk until smooth & completely incorporated. Set aside.
- In a 4-cup measuring cup, pour 2 cans evaporated milk and add water to equal 4 cups liquid total. (It's about 3 cups evaporated milk & 1 cup water)
- In a large pot or dutch oven, pour milk/water mixture. Over medium heat, bring almost to a boil. Whisk in flour/water mixture. Cook until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
- If using fresh broccoli: While the milk/water/flour mixture is cooking, trim broccoli stems & cook florets in boiling water for about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir into milk/water/flour mixture, minced onion, potatoes, creamed corn, fresh corn, and chicken. Mix completely, stirring gently. Turn heat down to LOW. Stir in broccoli once it's cooked & drained. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Put the lid on and cook on low for about 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with grated cheddar, chopped green onions, and bacon.
We like this with a chunk of warm French bread on the side. Enjoy!!