These blondies are one of our favorite treats!! The combination of butterscotch with chocolate chips plus the buttery taste is divine. I cut the recipe out of Sunset Magazine YEARS ago (maybe 9 or 10 years?) so I can't give the exact issue.
I've taken these to potlucks, given them for Christmas gifts, taken them to sick friends' families as a dinner treat, and baked them for family & friends for years - I always get the question "Can I get the recipe?!?" LOVE that!
I also like that they're made with half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour. Not that a bit of whole wheat flour makes up for the butter & the sugar & the butterscotch or chocolate chips, mind you. :)
I hope you enjoy these!!
Chocolate Chip Blondies
Prep & cook time: about 1.25 hours
Makes: 24 blondies
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature (softened)
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour, finely ground
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (about 3 ozs)
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Butter (use butter, not cooking spray, if you can) a 9x13" baking pan; set aisde.
- In a bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat butter, white sugar, & brown sugar until smooth. Add vanilla & eggs and beat until well blended.
- Stir in flour, salt & baking soda until well combined.
- Stir in butterscotch & chocolate chips and the walnuts.
- Spread dough level in pan. (It's thick so take your time & spread it evenly)
- Bake 30 minutes until top is browned and a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then cut into 24 squares.
NOTE: As it cools, the center will sink a bit.
We like this warm with ice cream or a cold glass of milk, but you can serve these warm or cold.
Store in an airtight container or tightly cover your baking dish with cling wrap.