Monday, June 14, 2010

Homemade Croutons




**If you have a special event coming up, homemade croutons would make a great addition to a wonderful salad. I made these, and my husband said, "Why are you cutting all that bread?" I said, "I'm making homemade croutons." He said, "What a waste, just go buy some." Then the next day when I cooked them to take to the baby shower, he said, "Do you have to take all of them?"**


**This crouton recipe came from my friend Angela who is a wonderful cook. She told me to cook them about an hour before serving and I wished I would have listened. I was afraid because I had never made these before, so I wanted them made way in advance so if something went wrong, I had time to prepare. WELL, right when they come out of the oven you put them on some wax paper or foil to cool, and they are light and crunchy and yummy! I found that by time I got to the shower, they were not so crunchy and more chewy. The flavor was still ok, but for sure these are best to use within an hour or so of taking out of the oven. **

Homemade Croutons
1 loaf of day old french bread in the deli section (buy 1-2 days in advance to get it day old)
1 cup olive oil - divided
1/2 cup parmesan cheese - divided
2 TB minced garlic - divided
**These ingredients are as close to what I used without measuring. I just kind of take stuff and dump it in**

Cut up the french bread into cubes. I ended up using an electric knife. If you are cutting them up a day ahead, just put them in a ziploc. About an hour before you are going to make the croutons, pour them out onto a jelly roll pan and let them sit out. It will make it so they are not so soft. Take half of the cubes and put them in a large zip loc baggie. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup parmesan cheese into bag, and about 1 TB minced garlic. Then drizzle 1/2 cup of olive oil over bread. Seal bag and shake really well. Spread out onto a jelly roll sheet or cookie sheet. Do the same thing again with the second half of bread cubes, and spread those on baking sheet too.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Then lay out on foil or wax paper to cool.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails