YUM!! The chuck roast & onions for these sandwiches cooked all day in the crock pot & filled the house with a delicious aroma!! We were super excited to get eating by the time dinner rolled around! 5 minutes prep in the morning & about 5 more just before dinner - a perfect busy-day dinner.
French Dip Sandwiches with Au Jus
6-8 bolillo rolls (or your favorite sub rolls - choose white though, wheat isn't as good with these sandwiches)
6-8 slices swiss or provolone cheese
1 2.5 lb beef roast (I used chuck, but whatever you have on-hand would do)
1 14.5oz can beef broth
1-2 Tbsp minced garlic
salt & pepper - about 1 Tbsp each or more, if you like pepper
- In a large skillet, sear the roast on all sides. (You want it browned thorougly before you put it in the slow cooker).
- Turn on slow cooker to LOW.
- Slice onion & place slices on the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour beef broth over the onions.
- Place beef roast on top of sliced onions/broth. Sprinkle salt, pepper & minced garlic over the top of the roast.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. If possible, turn the roast over halfway through cooking.
- If you're using a larger roast (3-4 lbs), cook for 8-10 hours.
- Slice rolls open & set out with cheeses for building sandwiches. You can brown the rolls under the broiler or in the oven, if you like.
- Remove roast from crock pot to a large cutting board. Roughly slice roast, cutting away fat (if desired - my youngest loves the fat (yuck!)), to use in sandwiches.
- ** Get help for this step, if you need it - Crock pots are heavy! ** Pour liquid from crock pot through a fine strainer into a bowl or large glass measuring cup. (This is the au jus for dipping the sandwiches) Pour au jus into small bowls, big enough for dipping the sandwiches.
- Each person builds a sandwich with beef, cheese & cooked onions (from the crock pot).
These sandwiches are dipped into the au jus before each bite. Don't pour it on - it will soak the sandwich & ruin the roll. The onions are optional on the sandwiches, but I love 'em!
We always serve these with a big green salad.