Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Poppyseed Chicken


This is one of those dishes that everybody has a recipe for! Each one is a little different, I'm sure. For my family this is definitely our "comfort food". Yesterday was icky & grey & cold so a creamy, satisfying casserole was exactly what we needed.

My recipe comes from my mom's, my neighbor's, and something of my own thrown in to make it my own. Do you have a recipe for Poppyseed Chicken? Please share it!

Poppyseed Chicken
Makes 1 9x13" casserole

4 cups dry egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
2 cups chicken, cooked & cut into bite-sized pieces
8 oz sour cream
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1/8 cup dried minced onions
1 tsp minced garlic (optional)
1 cylinder Ritz crackers (we like whole wheat Ritz)
1 cube (1/2 cup) butter
1 tsp poppyseeds (these really are just for show - if you don't have 'em, don't worry)

  • Preheat oven to 375*F. Spray inside of 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray.

  • Cook egg noodles according to package directions.

  • In a large bowl, stir together & mix well: sour cream, chicken soup, Parmesan, onions & garlic. When mixed thoroughly, stir in chicken.

  • In a separate medium-sized bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Crush Ritz crackers. Stir crushed crackers & poppyseeds into melted butter.

  • Build the casserole: Pour noodles into baking dish. Spread chicken/soup mixture evenly over the noodles. Gently spread the Ritz/butter mixture over the chicken/soup mixture, until evenly covered.

  • Bake 30 minutes & serve.

We always serve this with broccoli, but it would be great with pretty much any veggie.


This is a great recipe to make large batches of for family gatherings too.


Enjoy!



3 comments:

Tiffanee said...

Oh YUM!! I make one similar but it doesn't have the noodles. What a great addition. Next time I am going to make yours!!

Janis said...

I love that you finally posted this recipe. I totally remember you making that for dinner when you were in an apartment in Fullerton??? That was before we were both married, 23 years ago at least. BOY, the time flies!
Love ya!

byuhotmama said...

Kathryn, so glad you posted your cooking blog, I should have guessed you had one, you are so darn creative and such an awesome cook. Do you know how many times I've made Kathy Jolley's Poppyseed chicken??? Lots, and now Katie, Emily and Erin all make KJ PS Chicken...and we all love it! Thanks and I'm going to look carefully over all of this blog, and get all the recipes I can! The smoked sausage casserole looks so good and lots of others, can't wait. I am trying to cook more and be a real wife and mother. It's so easy to get out of the habit and just do stupid stuff.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails