This is one of those dishes that everybody has a recipe for! Each one is a little different, I'm sure. For my family this is definitely our "comfort food". Yesterday was icky & grey & cold so a creamy, satisfying casserole was exactly what we needed.
My recipe comes from my mom's, my neighbor's, and something of my own thrown in to make it my own. Do you have a recipe for Poppyseed Chicken? Please share it!
Makes 1 9x13" casserole
4 cups dry egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
2 cups chicken, cooked & cut into bite-sized pieces
8 oz sour cream
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1/8 cup dried minced onions
1 tsp minced garlic (optional)
1 cylinder Ritz crackers (we like whole wheat Ritz)
1 cube (1/2 cup) butter
1 tsp poppyseeds (these really are just for show - if you don't have 'em, don't worry)
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Spray inside of 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, stir together & mix well: sour cream, chicken soup, Parmesan, onions & garlic. When mixed thoroughly, stir in chicken.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Crush Ritz crackers. Stir crushed crackers & poppyseeds into melted butter.
- Build the casserole: Pour noodles into baking dish. Spread chicken/soup mixture evenly over the noodles. Gently spread the Ritz/butter mixture over the chicken/soup mixture, until evenly covered.
- Bake 30 minutes & serve.
We always serve this with broccoli, but it would be great with pretty much any veggie.
This is a great recipe to make large batches of for family gatherings too.