Thursday, February 25, 2010

Creamed Tuna over Rice



This is a childhood comfort food for me - the recipe came from my grandma and I've been eating it my whole life. It's one of our family's favorite meals! (and another "quick-n-easy" recipe)

There are 2 recipes - one is my quick-n-easy version, the other is the from-scratch recipe my grandma used. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

My "from cans" Recipe:
Creamed Tuna over Rice - Quick-n-Easy Recipe
1 can cream celery soup  (I use fat-free soups)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 - 1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup dried onions
1 T dried parsley
2 cans tuna, drained & shredded with a fork
salt & pepper, to taste
White rice
Frozen peas
  1. Cook white rice & peas according to package directions.
  2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, mix soups & milk until well-blended. Add milk until mixture reaches desired consistency, just thinner than gravy.
  3. Add onions, parsley & tuna.
  4. Cook at low heat 5-10 minutes, until heated through.
  5. Serve over white rice w/green peas.

My Mom's "from scratch" Recipe
med Tuna - From Scratch Recipe
4 T shortening
5 T all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1/2 cup dried celery
1/3 c dried onions
salt & pepper to taste
2 cans tuna, drained
White rice
Frozen peas

  1. In saucepan, melt shortening.
  2. Stir in flour briskly to make paste.
  3. Gradually add milk, stirring briskly to avoid lumps.
  4. Cook & stir until thick.
  5. Add remaining ingredients. Cook at low heat 5-10 minutes, until heated through.
  6. Serve over white rice with green peas.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails