Friday, February 12, 2010

Sausage and Bean Pasta




**Another new recipe that is healthier. When I make this again, I will use at least 1 tsp of fennel seed. I think it would be best to make the sauce ahead of time and let it sit and let the flavors all combine. Then closer to dinner re-heat it, make the pasta, and add it to the tomato mixture and serve. ALSO, next time I make it, I was even thinking of possibly adding a little cornstarch and milk mixture to thicken the sauce. ** THIS DOES NOT MAKE THAT GOOD OF A LEFT OVER. THE WHOLE GRAIN NOODLES SEEM TO GET MORE MUSHY. Just a thought. :)

Sausage and Bean Pasta
1 13oz box whole grain pasta - I used shells ( I didn't use whole box, and next time I may even use a little less. )
1TB olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves minced
1 lb turkey italian sausage
1 cup less sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp fennel seed
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 15oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
2 15oz cans cannelini or northern white beans
romano cheese for garnish
Cook pasta according to directions.
Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes. Add sausage. Cook until browned. Stir in chicken broth scraping pan to loosen any bits. Add all seasonings, beans, and tomatoes. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes. Add pasta and serve immediately with cheese for garnish.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails