Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fiesta Rice and Vegetable Bake

*This is a recipe we just tried. We are trying to eat more healthy and to eat meat more "sparingly." We thought it was good enough to post." If you wanted to you could add some cooked chicken or ground meat.

Fiesta Rice and Vegetable Bake
2 cups low sodium organic vegetable broth (I did buy the organic low sodium because it only had 140g of sodium vs the 900g sodium in the swansons.)
1 cup long grain brown rice
16oz salsa
1 15oz can black beans
1 1/2 cups fresh brocoli (I lightly steamed mine first)
1 TB Taco seasoning
1/3 - 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup mexican blend shredded cheese
*This recipe has been updated from original post. (See comment section) I updated it to how I remember making it the first time and enjoyed it better. The difference is adding parmesan cheese to the main mixture.*

Combine broth and rice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 50minutes. When rice is done Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" baking dish with non stick cooking spray. In a large bowl combine rice and all remaining ingredients except the shredded mexican cheese. Stir well. Spoon in to prepared dish and top with mexican blend cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.

**UPDATE--We had this the next day for lunch in a whole whet pita pocket. YUM! My parents made this the night after I posted it, and they all loved it too**

1 comment:

Janis said...

I made this again tonight, and something was different. I think as I reflect back, that I added parmesan cheese to the mixture before I baked it, at least 1/4-1/2 cup. So, if you don't add parmesan cheese to your mix, I would decrease the amount of salsa to 1 1/2 cups.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails