This is a childhood comfort food for me - the recipe came from my grandma and I've been eating it my whole life. It's one of our family's favorite meals! (and another "quick-n-easy" recipe)
There are 2 recipes - one is my quick-n-easy version, the other is the from-scratch recipe my grandma used. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
My "from cans" Recipe:
Creamed Tuna over Rice - Quick-n-Easy Recipe
1 can cream celery soup (I use fat-free soups)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 - 1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup dried onions
1 T dried parsley
2 cans tuna, drained & shredded with a fork
salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook white rice & peas according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, mix soups & milk until well-blended. Add milk until mixture reaches desired consistency, just thinner than gravy.
- Add onions, parsley & tuna.
- Cook at low heat 5-10 minutes, until heated through.
- Serve over white rice w/green peas.
My Mom's "from scratch" Recipe
med Tuna - From Scratch Recipe
4 T shortening
5 T all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1/2 cup dried celery
1/3 c dried onions
salt & pepper to taste
2 cans tuna, drained
- In saucepan, melt shortening.
- Stir in flour briskly to make paste.
- Gradually add milk, stirring briskly to avoid lumps.
- Cook & stir until thick.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cook at low heat 5-10 minutes, until heated through.
- Serve over white rice with green peas.