Perfect meal for a cold day. Easy meal for a busy-busy day. Low-cost meal when roast and/or veggies are on sale. All around - a classic, delicious, perfect meal. Enjoy! :)
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours (at least)
1 Tbsp oil (or spray with nonstick cooking spray)
3 - 3 1/2 lb boneless beef pot roast - rump, chuck or round
4 carrots, sliced (or a 1 lb pkg baby carrots)
4 medium potatoes (about 2 lbs), cut into 1-inch pieces
2 envelopes onion soup mix
3/4 cup water (I prefer to use beef broth. I pour the extra from the can into the bottom of the crock pot)
If making gravy from crock pot juices/liquid:
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat (or spray with nonstick cooking spray). Brown roast on all sides.
- In slow cooker, place carrots & potatoes. Top with browned roast. Set aside.
- In glass measuring cup, combine onion soup mix and water. Add to skillet, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of pan. The mixture will thicken & bubble.
- Pour soup mixture into slow cooker, over the roast.
- Cook covered on LOW 8-10 hours or HIGH 4-6 hours.
- Remove roast & vegetables; place on serving platter. Trim roast into serving-size pieces, if desired.
- To make gravy: Pour liquid/juices from the slow cooker into a medium saucepan. Turn heat to medium-high.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine 1/4 cup water and 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour. Add to liquid in saucepan.
- Whisk flour/water mixture & liquid/juices until combined. Continue whisking & bring to a slow boil. Heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour gravy through seive (if desired) into serving dish.