This is what I always order when I go to Buca di Beppo. It's DELISH!! Super easy to make, took me about 30 minutes total. I got chicken on sale for $1.49/pound so the whole meal was under $5 for my family of 6 - not bad!
Capers are usually sold by the pickles & olives. I found them at Walmart so they should be easy to find near you. Don't leave them out - they really make the dish!
We served this with fettucine & a green salad. I doubled the lemon/caper sauce & poured some over the hot fettucine and the rest over the chicken. You could also serve it with smashed potatoes or a loaf of crusty french bread.
Lemon Chicken with Capers
4 5-oz boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
salt & pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- Preheat oven to 225*. Line baking pan or jelly roll pan with foil. Place in oven.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper, then dredge in flour.
- Warm 1 Tbsp butter and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until butter foams.
- Add 2 floured chicken breast halves; cook until browned, 3-4 minutes. Flip chicken; cook until firm and browned on other side, about 3-4 minutes longer.
- Transfer cooked chicken breasts to baking pan in oven. Cover loosely with foil.
- Add 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil to the skillet and repeat steps # 2-5 with the remaining chicken breast halves. (Add butter & oil each time you add 2 more chicken breast halves)
- Add lemon juice & chicken broth to skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Boil, stirring occasionally, until thicker - about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in capers & 1 Tbsp butter. Stir until butter melts. Lightly season with salt & pepper, if desired.
- Remove chicken from oven & transfer to a serving platter. Pour sauce over chicken & serve.
Be sure to prepare your side dish while the chicken is cooking. Timing will depend upon what you're serving.
Prep time: 5 mins Serves: 4-6
Cook time: 20-30 mins, depending upon how many chicken breasts you prepare