Thursday, March 4, 2010

Pasta with Chickpeas and Garlic sauce


This recipe came from here.

It really has great flavor. I was very pleasantly surprised. It may be more for adults, but both my girls, ages 12 and 4 ate this, but it wasn't their favorite.

At our local store here called Raleys, in the health food section, I found a macaroni shaped pasta which was made of brown rice instead of whole wheat. It was REALLY good and had great flavor and texture.

I followed this recipe exactly except I used jarred minced garlic instead of fresh. I am thinking that fresh garlic may even be better.

OH, and by the way, I don't have a food processor, so if you are like me and think you are going to put a hot mixture in your blender and blend it until it's pureed, let me WARN you that you should definitely put a towel over the top of the lid and hold on tight! The first time I turned on the blender, the mixture was so hot in there and the pressure of the steam pushing up on the lid was just too much for my hand to deal with. There was the pressure and also the HOT coming out of the lid as I turned it on. I made a mess everywhere!

Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups uncooked medium seashell pasta (about 6 ounces)
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Preparation
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add crushed garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, chickpeas, and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
While garlic mixture simmers, cook pasta in boiling water 9 minutes, omitting salt and fat; drain well.
Place chickpea mixture in a food pro-cessor, and process until smooth. Combine chickpea mixture, pasta, tomatoes, minced garlic, fresh parsley, and lemon juice; toss well. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails